This post may contain links to products that we use and love, and we may earn a commission at no cost to you.
Last Updated on
If you’d rather prepare a meal in advance and just warm it up at the campsite, then this recipe is perfect. We were camping over my husband’s birthday, and I really wanted a special meal, something different from our usual camping fare. So I took an easy, but favorite, meal to surprise him. I cooked everything before we left, but kept it all separate. Chicken in one bag, pasta & broccoli in another bag, and the homemade sauce in a third bag. I know, it’s a lot of bags, but I wasn’t sure it would taste the same if it was all mixed together, and I didn’t want the pasta to be mushy. At the campsite, I put them all in the pan and warmed them up together. I also took a small loaf of focaccia bread and toasted it over the fire. Delish.
**This originally called for a can of Cream of Mushroom soup. I like to cook whole foods whenever possible, so I make my own. That recipe is simple and included as part of the sauce, but feel free to just use a can of soup. If it seems like I’m making it harder, I am. It’s part of our family’s attempt to cook healthier meals!
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package linguine
- 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 4 tbl butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbl whole wheat flour (can also use white)
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Before you leave: Cook linguine according to package directions. Add broccoli for last 4 minutes of cooking time. Drain.
- Cook chicken until browned, stirring often.
- In a medium saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for one minute. Add flour and salt and cook while stirring until the flour forms a paste.
- Slowly add stock and milk while stirring. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to a light boil and stir while cooking until thickened. Stir in Parmesan.
- Once cool, place the pasta & broccoli into ziplock bag, the chicken into a second bag, and the sauce into a third. Place all three bags into a larger ziplock and it's ready for the cooler.
- At the campsite, pour all of the bags into a pan and gently heat until hot.